Weather in Tibet is not as harsh as many people imagine. The best time to travel in Tibet is from April to November. However, you can visit the low altitude valleys around Lhasa, Gyantse, Shigatse, Tsedang and Nyingchi all year round. During the winter time (from December to March), those places are much less crowded and become a charming white world offering beautiful scenery as well. Here are some advices regarding a good travel season to the some specific areas in Tibet:
- Lhasa - Shigatse - Tingri - Zhangmu - Kathmandu: the Friendship highway is primarily in good conditions throughout the year except some snowing days in February and some raining days in August. Since the earth quack in May 2015, the Tibet-Nepal border has been closed to tourists.
- Mt. Everest Region: a tour to Mt. Everest Base Camp is available all year round and it is usually believed that the early May, early October and winter season can offer a better chance to see the true face of Mt. Everest clearly.
- Mt. Kaillash and Lake Manasarovar (Ali / Ngari): To visit this place, you must have lots of courage and determination as the condition there is already hard even without climate restrictions. May, June, July, September and October are usually the appropriate time to have the Kailash Yatra.
- Eastern Tibet (especially that for driving overland from Chengdu or ShangriLa to Lhasa): You are not suggested to visit this area in July or August as the rain at this time could cause landslides and make big trouble.
- Northern Tibet: July and August is the prime time to enjoy the great plain in the northern Tibet.
You may experience the four seasons within one day in Tibet. The average daily temperatures range from the high 50s to the low 70s, and the nighttime temperatures are often 20 or even 30 degrees lower. That's why when you consult with our trip advisors, they may suggest you to take a feather coat even in August. Temperatures could be more extreme for tent trekking.
Another thing we would like to mention is the strong sun radiation in Tibet. Please never forget to take the sun-blocking cream, a pair of sun glasses, lip stick and hat, etc.
Next Tibet Attractions